Friday, April 1, 2011

1-14 “Guardian”

She's able to talk through the golem? It must be convenient to be such a powerful sorceress, instead of pondering it myself I decide to ask, “Are there any other things it can do like that, things other than fighting?”

“YES WATCHMAN NIVAR, I WAS ALSO CONSTRUCTED WITH MANUAL LABOR IN MIND. I CAN MEASURE AND CUT WOOD OR STONE WITH GREAT PRECISION. I NEED TO BE FITTED WITH ACTUAL HANDS TO DO HEAVY LIFTING, THOUGH.”

It's here that I take a much closer look at its construction. The 'hands' are indeed not actual hands holding swords. They are designed to look like they are gauntlets, yet they are joined with the blades. Looking closer at the 'face' of the golem I notice that the great helm that serves as its head is comically designed, the ventilation holes (which I'm sure are just there for decoration), along with the slanting curve of the eye holes, give the impression of a smiling face. I'm still very impressed by the quality and intricacy of the armor plates.

“ADDITIONALLY I AM LINKED WITH SEVERAL GEMS POSITIONED ALONG THE WALL, I CAN SEE AS THOUGH I WAS STANDING AT ALL OF THEM.”

“You can't be able to get to them very fast can you?” The rookie again.

“I WAS DESIGNED TO LOOK DECEPTIVE IN THAT MATTER. I CAN PROBABLY OUTRUN ANY OF YOU, BARRING ANY MAGIC ITEMS YOU MIGHT BE CONCEALING.”

“Why are you telling us all of this, aren't you, or your master worried about people using such information against you?”

“YOU ARE CITY WATCHMAN, AND THE LADY HAS DONE NOTHING WRONG, I HAVE NO REASON TO WITHHOLD ANY INFORMATION FROM YOU.”

“What if we were lying?”

“I BEAR AN ENCHANTMENT THAT DETECTS LIES, WHILE I WILL NOT KNOW THE EXACT TRUTH, I WILL SEE A FALSEHOOD, BARRING MAGIC ITEMS OR OTHER EFFECTS PREVENTING SUCH DIVINATION.”

“Really? Mario, have you ever been drunk on duty?”

“No, sir.”

“YOU LIE KNAVE!” The voice that comes out this time is different in tone and inflection, Mario is visibly shaken. It also lacks the subtle reverberation in the golem's speaking voice, much like when Lady Averdine was speaking through it. Mario looks a little scared. “PARDON ME, THAT IS A RESPONSE TRIGGERED WHENEVER SOMEONE LIES IN MY PRESENCE. IT IS A RECORDING OF THE OTHER GATEMAN, AND IS COMBINED WITH A MINOR ENCHANTMENT TO SHAKE UP THE LIAR. THIS IS USUALLY FOLLOWED WITH A BEATING, DEPENDING ON THE LIE.” The cheery tone of the golem's voice... I'm unsure whether it make that last line more or less intimidating.

Mario's face flushes, “Well how about you sir, have you ever been drunk on duty?”

“No, I avoid alcoholic drinks, don't particularly enjoy the taste of them.”

Nothing out of the golem. There are very few occasions when I drink, and I haven't imbibed enough to get drunk since my teens.

The gate opens and closes as Lady Averdine and an armored man walk out to greet us.

No comments:

Post a Comment