Monday, March 21, 2011

1-11 “Castle”

At the guard house, we report in to the assistant commander once again, suggesting that we take some men to the Averdine Estate down the west road. Upon description of the creature he digs through some papers on his desk. He pulls one out and begins to read.

“Regarding Crystalline Phenomena: By order of Lady Hefthammer of Midrange Keep, any discovery of any beasts or other beings that appear either to be growing crystalline protrusions, or are seemingly primarily constructed out of any sort of crystal should be immediately reported to one of the Lords or Ladies of The Keep. Caution should be taken around such beings. While strength of any particular being varies, some have been encountered that pose greater threat than an adult dragon. Flee if possible. If combat ensues, be sure to fully remove any portions of crystalline shrapnel from any wounds to yourself or any other wildlife or foliage nearby.

“That came in just this morning, it's been caught up in who knows what for the last two weeks.”

Notices like this always seem to be delayed for outrageous amounts of time around here. Personally, I think someone has been paid off to go through them all and make sure any related to the new 'big names' in the city get 'lost'.

I decide to run straight to the keep and give my report directly. Stanton stays behind to patch up his armor.

The portcullis at the castle wall is amazingly elaborate, after dropping bars are somehow pressed through the crossed bars of the gate and into the other side of the gatehouse. Once completely barred, the surface is etched with runes in a circular pattern around the middle and an engraving of a shield in the middle. I sometimes wonder if there's any magic behind that or if it's just decorative.

All of the castle soldiers seem to be very well equipped, chain hauberks and chausses under breast plates, splinted vambraces and greaves. Not a fan of the helmets though, bascinets with aventail to protect the face. I'm just not convinced that a single layer of chain is sufficient, and it makes them all look rather silly; that might just be me though. I've never been up close to examine the workmanship of the weapons but from what I've seen they are at least adequate, if not well made. Most of the troops patrolling the grounds walk around with halberds or glaives, those on the walls have shields slung at their backs, swords of varying styles at theirs belts and crossbows at the ready. I hadn't really thought of it before, is the quality of their gear is only due to the fact that these men were transferred here from the capital city, or are our Liberators really working at getting all of us stuff of this quality?

The courtyard is also well maintained. Paths wind around small flower beds or patches of maintained grass. Trees infrequently dot the area. Ever since our Liberators came into power here the castle grounds have been left open to the public, I'm surprised they've managed to keep the place so clean.

I end up having to wait for the guard at the door to let me through. I'm held up because my gear isn't standard issue. I can't trust that stuff with my life. We do need new gear. The armor is always due for repair and the weapons are dangerous to the user at worst and shoddy at best. I use gear dad has given me from his mercenary days, breastplate over hardened leather with steel joint guards and a well made halberd. Dad is always telling me that all of it is magical, I have to admit that they never seem to show signs of daily wear and tear. I wonder if that dwarven gear is ever actually going to come in or if it's just a rumor, I might start using it if that becomes standard issue.

My identity is confirmed, and I am allowed in.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the fact that Nivar is armor snob. He observes armor and weapons consistently and he is free with his opinions on them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete